DBUS?

Johan Kiviniemi netsplit.com-upstart-devel at johan.kiviniemi.name
Mon Nov 6 15:20:53 GMT 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 07:25:06AM +0000, Alex Smith wrote:
> I just want to say, please, do NOT make dbus a *required* dependency
> for upstart.

I take it your concern is the daemon, not the protocol?

I don't think a dependency on the dbus daemon has been even considered.
AFAIK programs may speak the dbus protocol over a fd without a need for
the daemon. And as a protocol, i guess it's as good as any.

If upstart were to be already speaking dbus-the-protocol, adding
*optional* support for dbus-the-daemon would be effortless.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. :-)

--
Jοhan Kiviniemi  http://johan.kiviniemi.name/