How to get something similar to runlevels in Upstart?

Alex Smith alex at alex-smith.me.uk
Wed Nov 1 20:15:20 GMT 2006

paul wrote:
> Currently I myself am running upstart with the sysvinit emulation layer,
> see http://upstart.ubuntu.com/download/examples-jobs-2.tar.gz
> With this emulation you have the sysvinit runlevels.
>
> However I am wondering why you would still need runlevels. I can imagine
> that you are using  runlevels to switch from fixed network to wireless.
> Or change runlevels when switching from main power to battery power. But
> with upstart (and udev, hald & dbus) you might think of a situation that
> you do not need any runlevels any more. By having the right events
> generated your computer will start and stop the daemons that are needed
> to go to the new situation automatically.
>
> Or do you have an other use of runlevels where this would not work?
>
> Paul

Well, of course you can do what you suggest with events generated by
other processes, which is what I would like to do. But of course, there
will always be hardcore Linux users who like this functionality and
would like it to be there. Probably I could just base the init scripts
around the sysvinit compatibility stuff though, that would probably work.

Thanks,
Alex

P.S. Paul, I might have accidentally mailed this to you, I'm used to
mailing lists that have a Reply-To as the mailing list address, this one
doesn't.

--
Alex Smith
Frugalware Linux developer - http://www.frugalware.org