upstart question

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Wed Nov 1 13:45:08 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 20:18 +0200, Johan Kiviniemi wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:19:38AM -0600, Benjamin Montgomery wrote:
> > This seemed like a really easy thing to code up until I remembered
> > that you need root privs to start and stop apache and mysql.  I don't
> > want to be root when I log in, and I don't want the applet to be suid
> > to root.
>
> You could just use sudo. Something like this should work:
>
> username ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/start apache, /sbin/stop apache

This is the canon answer.

While upstart will gain the ability for non-root users to start or stop
jobs, it will only start or stop jobs that are intended to start as that
user.  (The "cron" security model).

For more complicated issues, one should use sudo to give permission to
users or groups to use the "start" or "stop" commands with named jobs.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?