[uds-announce] Invitation to the Design Theater

Charline Poirier charline.poirier at canonical.com
Tue Apr 24 14:21:27 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Last year we had a wonderful time discussing and collaboratively
generating design solutions to software members of the community brought
to us.  This UDS, the Canonical design team will offer the Design
Theater again.

*What's the Design Theater? *

The Design Theater ('Theater' as in 'surgery theater') is a format by
which the Canonical Design Team provide advice and support to community
developers to make their app/software shine! We do not perform :)

*How does it work?*

The Design Theater has 2 categories of participants:  developers who
come to the Theater seeking design advice and who are ready and willing
to present the design issues they have encountered; and spectators who
just want watch and learn about design thinking and problem solving.

Developers who seek design advice present their app or software for 5
mins and the designers walk everyone through the steps of design
thinking and problem solving to come with useful directions or next
steps for the software.

*What do you need to do?*

/If you seek advice/ for a specific app or piece of software, you need
to send me a link or screenshot and brief description of the problem you
have identified by *May 27th*.  You  will also need to gather a profile
of your target users and what you know of the context in which your
software will be used (not for the initial email but for the
presentation of your software at the Theater).  We can only dedicate 15
mins per participants.  Your description and presentation of your users
should be short (5-8 mins) because we want to be able to work with a few
community people during the short time we have at UDS.  Note that the
allocation of these times may change according to how many people send
us requests.  But you will be dedicated a minimum of 15 minutes during
the Theater.

/If you are an observer/, you just need to show up!

*When is it taking place?*

So far, we have tentatively scheduled the sessions on 3 days:

Monday, April 31 - 14:00 - 15:00
Tuesday, May 1   - 15:00 - 16:00
Wednesday, May 2 - 15:00 - 16:00

*How can you help us*?

It would be very useful if you could send us your design issue in
advance of the sessions.  With them in hand, we can coordinate the
sessions and organise them better - by theme or complementary design
issues.  This way, the sessions can be better targeted.

I will be sending you more information - confirmation of dates and a
preview of what we will be covering during the individual sessions -
after we received some of the materials and as it comes closer to UDS.

Hope to see you in the sessions and meanwhile let me know if you have
questions.

C.

Charline.poirier at canonical.com

--
Charline Poiriert
Acting Head of Design

Office: 00 44 207 630 2491
21-24 Millbank | Floor 27 Millbank Tower | London | SW1P 4QP

ubuntu.com | canonical.com