[uds-announce] Using the Ubuntu Status website

Chris Johnston chrisjohnston at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 4 14:17:55 UTC 2011

Greetings,

As we near the end of UDS - P, I wanted to remind everyone how to setup
your blueprints so that they work properly with the Ubuntu Status site (
http://status.ubuntu.com). There is a proper format in which the whiteboard
of the blueprints needs to be setup. You can have any content you want in
the whiteboard, and only the information in the following format will be
picked up by Ubuntu Status:

Work Items:
[assignee1] Work item 1: TODO
[assignee2] Work item 2: TODO
[assignee3] Work item 3: INPROGRESS

Without having "Work Items:" nothing will be picked up. "assigneeX" MUST be
either a launchpad username (chrisjohnston) or a launchpad team name
(summit-hackers) or the scripts will throw errors. To end a work item,
place a colon and then the status. The valid statuses are:

TODO
Items that are still needing to be done
BLOCKED
Items that are still needing to be done, but something else must be
completed prior to this item being worked on.
INPROGRESS
Items that are currently being worked on, but are not completed.
DONE
Items that have been completed.
POSTPONED
Items that will not be completed during the current cycle and are being
postponed until later.

You are also able to link bug reports to the blueprint and their statuses
will be picked up by Ubuntu Status.

One more way that you are able to break up work items is by milestone. This
allows for tracking of items that need to be done by a certain period in
the cycle. To do this, the 'Work Items:' needs to be defined slightly
differently. The following is an example of how to set that up:

Work items for precise-alpha-2:
[assignee1] Work item 1: INPROGRESS
[assignee2] Work item 2: DONE

Work items for precise-beta-1:
[assignee1] Work item 3: TODO
[assignee2] Work item 4: INPROGRESS

If a milestone is defined that is not an official milestone, the script
will default it to the end of the cycle and would look the same as putting
it under "Work Items:".

A few things to note are:
- Blueprints must be accepted by their assigned track lead in order to
appear in Ubuntu Status
- Not every team is on Ubuntu Status.
- The 'People' pages only work for people who are members of the defined
teams. Just because you have a work item doesn't mean you will have your
own page.

Full detailed instructions can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WorkItemsHowto and
http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-precise/about.html. If you have any issues
or questions that are not addressed here, please feel free to send me an
email.

Respectfully Submitted,

 Chris Johnston