[uds-announce] Keysign party - Keyring and txt file clarifications

Evan Broder evan at ebroder.net
Thu Nov 3 21:47:58 UTC 2011

The md5sums and sha1sums that were sent out initially are fine if you
strip the GPG signature from the text printout. Which is fine -
there's no reason to sign those text files. I would in fact prefer
that the file wasn't signed.

If each person verifies that the hash of the file on their computer
matches the hash printed on the sheet of paper, then we collectively
agree that the hashes on our sheets of paper are the same, we can all
be sure that the files on our computers are the same.

If I then tell you that my GPG fingerprint *in my file* (not on my
paper) is accurate, you can be sure that the finger print in *your*
file is also accurate.

At the end of the day, the paper is a convenient way to avoid us all
having to carry our laptops around, but ideally shouldn't be treated
as an authoritative source for any information but the hash of the
file on our computers.