[Ubuntu-ZW] GNU Linux and FLOSS Project at the UZ Computer Science Department

Kuda Dube Rukanda kudakwashe.dube at rukanda.com
Wed May 4 01:05:30 UTC 2016

Hi Bob;

Hi Bob,

I agree that creating a country-specific distro is not a good idea. The
project is not intended to be a country-specific distro but just a
customised version of Ubuntu focusing on specific things that would make it
relevant to local conditions. The focus is not necessarily on Linux OS but
on sector-oriented FLOSS development, e.g., helping you to develop aspects
of DHIS that you may not have time to work on. Emphasizing on starting with
the Linux OS tweaking and requiring that all software must be made to run
on Linux gives the group a strong FLOSS foundation without aiming at a
country-specific distro.

The major aim also is to create an environment for encouraging young
university graduates to both use and contribute to FLOSS and, thus, develop
a pool of local expertise while also producing something tangible and
useful at a national level, in industry and in the education sector. We
would like this project to remain on-going and even open up to more young
people who would like to be FLOSS developers.

Yes, there is not much time left before the attachment period starts. I got
to know the dates for attachment quite late. The danger is that we may be
faced with this group of students choosing out of necessity to disband in
order to seek internships where they can get subsistence and eventually end
up not learning anything equivalent to what they can learn in this project
for almost one year.

I thought about crowd funding and then realise that we need to go through a
bureaucratic process to setup the funding infrastructure within the
Bursar's Department at the University. Finding  a sponsor to manage a fund
outside the University would be faster and most likely be more efficient.
However, i have asked faculty to setup a fund with the Bursar and send me
details on how people could contribute amounts into the fund.

Regards,

Kuda