[Ubuntu-ZW] upgrading ubuntu

Kalpesh Thaker luminary06 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 08:19:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

ideally, upgrades keep all your settings and applications intact, and
only the operating systems is upgraded.
however you might find that things like mysql and php will upgrade to
the latest versions as well (and can bring alot of compatibility
issues with it).

upgrading should work okay, but in my experience it can cause issues
with previously installed apps...the other problem, is that you are
using quite an old version of ubuntu, so upgrading to the latest would
mean having to upgrade to 11.04, then to 11.10, then 12.04. there are
shortcuts you can take to upgrade directly to the latest version..but
there have been alot of changes between the version you have, and the
latest...and mostly likely will end up breaking your installation. so
its definitely not advisable.

for now, i'd recommend backing up your data, then installing the
latest version from scratch.. rather than upgrade. thats what i will
be doing myself after 12.04 release day

kalpesh