[Ubuntu-ZW] Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot 11.10: ubuntu software centre

Gyron Mkwebo gyron at powerspeed.co.zw
Tue Nov 29 11:05:56 UTC 2011

I'm having problems using ubuntu software centre on a proxy with
authentication. I tried this:

sudo vim /etc/apt/apt.conf
and adding the lines
Acquire::proxy "http://my_proxy_IP_address:port_number";
Acquire::proxy "https://my_proxy_IP_address:port_number";
Acquire::proxy "ftp://my_proxy_IP_address:port_number";

Acquire::proxy
"http://my_my_user_name:my_password@my_proxy_server_IP:port_number";

i saved the file, tried downloading my favourite development IDE,
eclipse and i got the following from ubuntu software centre:
Failed to download repository information: Check internet connection

NOTE: This is the machine i use to browse the internet with no problem
at all.

How can i configure this software centre to recognize my proxy settings?
I don't want to roll back to Synaptic, am trying to use the Oneiric
Ocelot as is, including the somewhat unfamiliar 'Unity' setup...