[Ubuntu-ZW] Africom EVDO USB Modem on Ubuntu Linux

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 08:23:14 BST 2010

On 06/10/2010 09:08, Samuel Mukoti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been told that the Africom modem works on Linux.  I've try
> configuring NetworkManager but no luck so far.  Any tips?

I am using it with no problems whatsoever under KDE Kubuntu 10.04.
However, as I use WICD for network and it does not recognise modems I
use command line wvdial for the Africom line.

All I did was:
install wvdial
from command line run:
sudo wvdialconf

it should find the modem. Then edit /etc/wvdial.conf to something like
below:
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0 (in my case that is)
ISDN = 0
Phone = #777 (that is the number I got from Africom)
Password = what Africom gave you
Username = what Africom gave you

then to connect run "sudo wvdial" from command line

However - in my case it also works with the KNetworkManager, it is just
a bit slow in finding the modem. I have tried on another laptop also, so
on 2 different ones it works.

Hope that helps,

Sinclair