[Ubuntu-ZW] Ubuntu-zw Digest, Vol 42, Issue 3

Garikai Dzoma garikaib at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 09:50:25 GMT 2010


I think it's time u look for a new ISP. I would recoment powertel's
Turboconnect or Africom's Michoice.

On 11/9/10, ubuntu-zw-request at lists.ubuntu.com
<ubuntu-zw-request at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Send Ubuntu-zw mailing list submissions to
> 	ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-zw
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	ubuntu-zw-request at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	ubuntu-zw-owner at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Ubuntu-zw digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re:  Econet and headaches (Simpson Moyo)
>    2. Re:  joni-hopley expired from team (Jonathan Hopley)
>    3.  How do i? (Jeff Chivheya)
>    4. Re:  How do i? (O. Sinclair)
>    5. Re:  How do i? (Raymond Swart)
>    6. Re:  How do i? (O. Sinclair)
>    7. Re:  How do i? (Raymond Swart)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 17:10:58 +0200
> From: Simpson Moyo <simpsonmoyo at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-ZW] Econet and headaches
> To: Kalpesh Thaker <luminary06 at gmail.com>
> Cc: ubuntu-zw <ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com>, o.sinclair at gmail.com
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTimGESsdOPDzmCcP-3mQAqoc5vOS5qk48uKA9hsj at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Hi,
>
> With the setup i did for my friend you can:
>
>    1. do time billing and set maximum download speed... so if you give
>    someone 30 mins or 1 hour you can set the download speed to 56k so they
> can
>    do decent browsing but cant abuse the connection by doing heavy
> downloads...
>
>    2. you can also do time+usage billing where a person buys 1 hour/10mb so
>    which ever comes first they get disconnected...
>
> Simpson
>
>
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Kalpesh Thaker <luminary06 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> this is tricky, what you may be looking for is a bandwidth shaper or
>> bandwidth manager.......
>> in any case, because econet charge on usage, you now have two issues to
>> address -->
>>
>> 1 - the amount of time someone may be occupying a workstation
>> 2 - how much bandwidth they are using
>>
>> initially, you only had to worry about how much time someone was occupying
>> on a workstation,
>> because your bandwidth was a set fee...and you could use as much as you
>> wanted to.
>>
>> there are alot of commercial bandwidth shapers.. but they get very
>> expensive..
>>
>> the easiest and most viable solution is for you to implement a squid
>> proxy,
>> using ACL's and delay
>> pools.. you can actually create 'bucket' rules that can be IP specific..
>> so
>> if someone uses up
>> 15mb, the connection can slow them down, or cut them off once the limit
>> has
>> been reached.
>>
>> more information can be found here:
>>
>> http://quark.humbug.org.au/publications/squid/aclsquid.html
>>
>> and here:
>>
>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/DelayPools
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:57 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Friends,
>>>
>>> we support 2 small sites where they among other things offer internet
>>> access (read sell it). They were using the "old" Econet 25/USD per month
>>> package and could then charge for time, printouts etc. How it worked is
>>> another story.
>>>
>>> These computers use KDE Kubuntu 10.04 btw, am considering upgrading to
>>> 10.10
>>>
>>> The new "bundles" is a major headache... how do they now charge? If one
>>> user sits on Facebook/Youtube for x minutes and chew up bandwidth how do
>>> you measure/charge for that? Another simply reads email, checks out
>>> newssites and does research, can sit for much longer but use much less
>>> bandwidth...
>>>
>>> Anyone else in this fix, anyone knows a tool that measures "used
>>> bandwidth" and could possibly cut at a reached amount?
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Sinclair
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ubuntu-zw mailing list
>>> Ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
>>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-zw
>>> --
>>> http://www.ubuntu.org.zw
>>> http://zimbabwe.ubuntuforums.org
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Ubuntu-zw mailing list
>> Ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-zw
>> --
>> http://www.ubuntu.org.zw
>> http://zimbabwe.ubuntuforums.org
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-zw/attachments/20101104/02b6db36/attachment.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:12:35 +1100
> From: Jonathan Hopley <joni_hopley at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-ZW] joni-hopley expired from team
> To: ubuntu zimbabwe <ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID: <SNT116-W8AF059C17C93C5017C256954F0 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>
> Please I sent an email for me tobe resubscribed please may i be resubscribed
> to list
>
>> To: joni_hopley at hotmail.com
>> From: noreply at launchpad.net
>> Subject: joni-hopley expired from team
>> Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 05:21:00 +0000
>>
>> Hello jonathan21,
>>
>> Your membership in the Ubuntu Zimbabwe (zimbabwe-team) team has expired.
>> <https://launchpad.net/~zimbabwe-team>
>>
>> Regards,
>> The Launchpad team
>  		 	   		
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-zw/attachments/20101108/2ce5feb2/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 17:58:24 +0200
> From: Jeff Chivheya <jeffycee at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Ubuntu-ZW] How do i?
> To: ubuntu-zw <ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTiki6xBEMrtkvi59Wiu8zNz_E-nKfRyWtFDKsCtq at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> How do i get Ubuntu to recognise a 3G modem?The modem has built in Win
> drivers and it just won't connect-the portion where you get to choose
> mobile broadband devices is grayed out!
>
> --
> Jeff Chivheya
> +263913 962 299
> Bulawayo
> www.esintu.com
> www.ubuntu.org.zw
> www.facebook.com/jeff.chivheya
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 22:14:45 +0200
> From: "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-ZW] How do i?
> To: ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
> Message-ID: <4CD9ABB5.40000 at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> On 09/11/2010 17:58, Jeff Chivheya wrote:
>> How do i get Ubuntu to recognise a 3G modem?The modem has built in Win
>> drivers and it just won't connect-the portion where you get to choose
>> mobile broadband devices is grayed out!
>>
> there is a number of things you can try:
> 1. reasonably often Networkmanager recognises the modem and you can set
> up the connection using networkmanager
> 2. if that does not work there is a "semi-gui" script called Sakis3g at
> www.sakis3g.org
> 3. finally from command line wvdial works almost everything
>
> first of all: what provider (Africom, Powertel, Econet) and what modem?
>
> Best
> Sinclair
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 22:28:32 +0200
> From: Raymond Swart <raymond at karigon.net>
> Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-ZW] How do i?
> To: ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
> Message-ID: <4CD9AEF0.7030306 at karigon.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>
> On 09/11/2010 22:14, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 09/11/2010 17:58, Jeff Chivheya wrote:
>>> How do i get Ubuntu to recognise a 3G modem?The modem has built in Win
>>> drivers and it just won't connect-the portion where you get to choose
>>> mobile broadband devices is grayed out!
>>>
>> there is a number of things you can try:
>> 1. reasonably often Networkmanager recognises the modem and you can set
>> up the connection using networkmanager
>> 2. if that does not work there is a "semi-gui" script called Sakis3g at
>> www.sakis3g.org
>> 3. finally from command line wvdial works almost everything
>>
>> first of all: what provider (Africom, Powertel, Econet) and what modem?
>>
>> Best
>> Sinclair
>>
>
> The Sakis3g script currently only works on GSM (Econet) networks not
> CDMA (Africom/Powertel). Sinclair would like to to get some notes on
> setting up Powertel on Ubuntu from you as i know you managed to get it
> working. I have upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 and network manager doesn't
> pick it up, not sure what I'm missing here, although you being on
> Kubuntu might mean there are packages you have installed that I don't.
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Raymond Swart
> Karigon (Pvt) Ltd
> www.karigon.net <http://www.karigon.net>
> Web Site Design - Linux Servers - Graphic Design - Support
>
> www.ubuntu.org.zw <http://www.ubuntu.org.zw> Promoting Ubuntu within
> Zimbabwe
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-zw/attachments/20101109/66ca8f5b/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 22:37:45 +0200
> From: "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-ZW] How do i?
> To: ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
> Message-ID: <4CD9B119.6070503 at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> On 09/11/2010 22:28, Raymond Swart wrote:
>>
>> On 09/11/2010 22:14, O. Sinclair wrote:
>>> On 09/11/2010 17:58, Jeff Chivheya wrote:
>>>> How do i get Ubuntu to recognise a 3G modem?The modem has built in Win
>>>> drivers and it just won't connect-the portion where you get to choose
>>>> mobile broadband devices is grayed out!
>>>>
>>> there is a number of things you can try:
>>> 1. reasonably often Networkmanager recognises the modem and you can set
>>> up the connection using networkmanager
>>> 2. if that does not work there is a "semi-gui" script called Sakis3g at
>>> www.sakis3g.org
>>> 3. finally from command line wvdial works almost everything
>>>
>>> first of all: what provider (Africom, Powertel, Econet) and what modem?
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Sinclair
>>>
>>
>> The Sakis3g script currently only works on GSM (Econet) networks not
>> CDMA (Africom/Powertel). Sinclair would like to to get some notes on
>> setting up Powertel on Ubuntu from you as i know you managed to get it
>> working. I have upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 and network manager doesn't
>> pick it up, not sure what I'm missing here, although you being on
>> Kubuntu might mean there are packages you have installed that I don't.
>>
>> Many Thanks,
>>
>> Raymond Swart
>> Karigon (Pvt) Ltd
>> www.karigon.net <http://www.karigon.net>
>> Web Site Design - Linux Servers - Graphic Design - Support
>>
>> www.ubuntu.org.zw <http://www.ubuntu.org.zw> Promoting Ubuntu within
>> Zimbabwe
>>
>>
> For Powertel I have only managed proper with wvdial. KNetworkmanager
> picks it up sometimes but sometimes not - at least in KNetworkmanager
> you can set up a CDMA connection and that works for me on the times the
> modem is picked up.
>
> However wvdial rarely fails so here goes:
> install wvdial (duh) and open a command/terminal window
> from command line run:
> sudo wvdialconf
>
> it should find the modem. Then edit /etc/wvdial.conf to something like
> below:
> [Dialer Defaults]
> Init1 = ATZ
> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> Modem Type = Analog Modem
> Baud = 460800
> New PPPD = yes
> Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0 (in my case that is)
> ISDN = 0
> Phone = #777 (that is the number I got from Africom)
> Password = what Africom gave you
> Username = what Africom gave you
>
> then to connect run "sudo wvdial" from command line
> to disconnect simply press ctrl+c once or twice
>
> good luck and time we put some sort of FAQ on this on the site?
>
> Sinclair
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 22:50:54 +0200
> From: Raymond Swart <raymond at karigon.net>
> Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-ZW] How do i?
> To: ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
> Message-ID: <4CD9B42E.20802 at karigon.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On 09/11/2010 22:37, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 09/11/2010 22:28, Raymond Swart wrote:
>>> On 09/11/2010 22:14, O. Sinclair wrote:
>>>> On 09/11/2010 17:58, Jeff Chivheya wrote:
>>>>> How do i get Ubuntu to recognise a 3G modem?The modem has built in Win
>>>>> drivers and it just won't connect-the portion where you get to choose
>>>>> mobile broadband devices is grayed out!
>>>>>
>>>> there is a number of things you can try:
>>>> 1. reasonably often Networkmanager recognises the modem and you can set
>>>> up the connection using networkmanager
>>>> 2. if that does not work there is a "semi-gui" script called Sakis3g at
>>>> www.sakis3g.org
>>>> 3. finally from command line wvdial works almost everything
>>>>
>>>> first of all: what provider (Africom, Powertel, Econet) and what modem?
>>>>
>>>> Best
>>>> Sinclair
>>>>
>>> The Sakis3g script currently only works on GSM (Econet) networks not
>>> CDMA (Africom/Powertel). Sinclair would like to to get some notes on
>>> setting up Powertel on Ubuntu from you as i know you managed to get it
>>> working. I have upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 and network manager doesn't
>>> pick it up, not sure what I'm missing here, although you being on
>>> Kubuntu might mean there are packages you have installed that I don't.
>>>
>>> Many Thanks,
>>>
>>> Raymond Swart
>>> Karigon (Pvt) Ltd
>>> www.karigon.net <http://www.karigon.net>
>>> Web Site Design - Linux Servers - Graphic Design - Support
>>>
>>> www.ubuntu.org.zw <http://www.ubuntu.org.zw> Promoting Ubuntu within
>>> Zimbabwe
>>>
>>>
>> For Powertel I have only managed proper with wvdial. KNetworkmanager
>> picks it up sometimes but sometimes not - at least in KNetworkmanager
>> you can set up a CDMA connection and that works for me on the times the
>> modem is picked up.
>>
>> However wvdial rarely fails so here goes:
>> install wvdial (duh) and open a command/terminal window
>> from command line run:
>> sudo wvdialconf
>>
>
> This is where I ran into issues because it was not detecting the modem,
> I will try it on a fresh install and see if it is something that was
> inherited from before 10.10?
>
>> it should find the modem. Then edit /etc/wvdial.conf to something like
>> below:
>> [Dialer Defaults]
>> Init1 = ATZ
>> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
>> Modem Type = Analog Modem
>> Baud = 460800
>> New PPPD = yes
>> Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0 (in my case that is)
>> ISDN = 0
>> Phone = #777 (that is the number I got from Africom)
>> Password = what Africom gave you
>> Username = what Africom gave you
>>
>> then to connect run "sudo wvdial" from command line
>> to disconnect simply press ctrl+c once or twice
>>
>> good luck and time we put some sort of FAQ on this on the site?
>>
>
> I agree would be nice to have a wiki styled FAQ where members could go
> and edit the pages, would definitely go a long way especially now that
> almost every home type user and alot of companies are running off these
> wireless dongles. Loco team any suggestions???
>
>> Sinclair
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> --
> Ubuntu-zw mailing list
> Ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-zw
>
>
> End of Ubuntu-zw Digest, Vol 42, Issue 3
> ****************************************
>


-- 
Garikai



More information about the Ubuntu-zw mailing list