[Ubuntu-ZW] How do i?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 20:37:45 GMT 2010

On 09/11/2010 22:28, Raymond Swart wrote:

> On 09/11/2010 22:14, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> On 09/11/2010 17:58, Jeff Chivheya wrote:
>>> How do i get Ubuntu to recognise a 3G modem?The modem has built in Win
>>> drivers and it just won't connect-the portion where you get to choose
>>> mobile broadband devices is grayed out!
>>>
>> there is a number of things you can try:
>> 1. reasonably often Networkmanager recognises the modem and you can set
>> up the connection using networkmanager
>> 2. if that does not work there is a "semi-gui" script called Sakis3g at
>> www.sakis3g.org
>> 3. finally from command line wvdial works almost everything
>>
>> first of all: what provider (Africom, Powertel, Econet) and what modem?
>>
>> Best
>> Sinclair
>>

> The Sakis3g script currently only works on GSM (Econet) networks not
> CDMA (Africom/Powertel). Sinclair would like to to get some notes on
> setting up Powertel on Ubuntu from you as i know you managed to get it
> working. I have upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 and network manager doesn't
> pick it up, not sure what I'm missing here, although you being on
> Kubuntu might mean there are packages you have installed that I don't.
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Raymond Swart
> Karigon (Pvt) Ltd
> www.karigon.net <http://www.karigon.net>
> Web Site Design - Linux Servers - Graphic Design - Support
>
> www.ubuntu.org.zw <http://www.ubuntu.org.zw> Promoting Ubuntu within
> Zimbabwe

For Powertel I have only managed proper with wvdial. KNetworkmanager
picks it up sometimes but sometimes not - at least in KNetworkmanager
you can set up a CDMA connection and that works for me on the times the
modem is picked up.

However wvdial rarely fails so here goes:
install wvdial (duh) and open a command/terminal window
from command line run:
sudo wvdialconf

it should find the modem. Then edit /etc/wvdial.conf to something like
below:
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0 (in my case that is)
ISDN = 0
Phone = #777 (that is the number I got from Africom)
Password = what Africom gave you
Username = what Africom gave you

then to connect run "sudo wvdial" from command line
to disconnect simply press ctrl+c once or twice

good luck and time we put some sort of FAQ on this on the site?

Sinclair