[Ubuntu-ZW] Econet and headaches

Simpson Moyo simpsonmoyo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 09:29:11 GMT 2010

I helped a friend with a similar problem some time ago... but his setup was
much bigger 20-30 workstations.

- I installed freeradius for user authentication.
- set-up and active portal (coovachili) for hotspot type set-up for people
that have laptops (every user had their own username and password)
- wrote him a small interface in php for adding and editing users and
setting up time/bandwidth quotas (wrote in freeradius mysql database)
- for desktops he setup pppoe (i think... cant really remember) but desktops
can also use active portal to authenticate on radius server

This may be a little overkill for what you want... but its very useful for
time and usage management.

Im sure they are simpler ways of doing it but that's how he wanted it.

if you want something like the above i can email you detailed set-up
instructions...

Simpson