[Ubuntu-ZW] news story that thought you would be interested to do with linux

Jonathan Hopley joni_hopley at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 27 05:22:56 GMT 2010

Here's actual link you may wanna check out comments
http://blog.nixternal.com/2010.02.18/please-say-fedora/

Last evening I went over to a family friend’s house to help her with
an ongoing problem with her Internet connection. She has AT&T DSL,
and every night around 5pm or so, the connection pretty much drops.
Getting to a web page is hit or miss, like one in every 10 attempts it
will load a page. The pings were good, but getting out was a nightmare.
She has a huge laptop running Windows 7 with insane specifications.
Great machine. So, I took over my netbook running Kubuntu Netbook Remix
(Lucid) to see if the problem was her laptop. Right away I was able to
decide it wasn’t her laptop. Further debugging made me realize it was
the DSL connection. I connected directly to the DSL modem, no router,
firewall, anything in between me and the Internet. The problem still
existed. At that time I determined it was AT&T’s fault so we called
them up. Initially the phone call was a nightmare.

Typically I am really good at understanding an Indian dialect because
 the area of Chicago I grew up in was largely an Indian population. The
person on the phone was a bit harder to understand and I believe the
reason was because they had a mix of the Indian dialect with a distinct
southern US drawl. Anyways, after talking to the AT&T tech support
person for a few minutes, I started telling him what was going on and
what I had done thus far. He asked what version of Windows I was using
to test and I told him I wasn’t using Windows and instead was using
Linux. I expected the “We don’t support Linux” comment, but was floored
when he said, “Please say you are using Fedora.”  I chimed in with a
“Sorry, using Kubuntu.” He chuckled then said, “Some people will never
learn.” We shot little jabs back and forth at each other having a bit of
 fun while he was doing a modem test. In the end they figured out it was
 their issue and some AT&T techie will be out there today to fix the
 issue.

So, if you were that AT&T dude I talked to last night who loves
Fedora and despises us Ubuntu fanboys, drop by and say HI! It was a
pleasure getting to talk to you for support on the issue, and it is
great seeing that there are some tech support people who aren’t afraid
to explore other options.