[Ubuntu-ZW] [ZOSS-General] Fwd: Something to think about.

Moses Marimo marimo at ict.co.zw
Sun Feb 7 12:39:23 GMT 2010

Apologies for cross-posting but I thought this topic is very important.

@Ronald, thank you very much for forwarding this critical topic and it
came at the right time. You have no idea how much I am thanking you. I
am actually in the process of completing a small research to submit a
comprehensive paper to authorities in charge with a view to propose a
new direction of the administration of top level domains in Zimbabwe.
I hope Kalpesh will not mind if I include some of his suggestions.

The analysis by Kalpesh is very correct and in my findings, everything
he said is true and a lot of people are actually now advising their
clients to go for the cheaper and more efficient international
domains. This works against the current effort to Rebrand Zimbabwe. It
may appear trivial but the .zw domain is a critical part of the
jig-saw puzzle in ICT development in the country. In South Africa,
everyone is proud of the .co.za namespace.

I have been out of the country and only returned end of last year. The
first institution that frustrated me was ZISPA! They are like so so
behind and most stuff in the hardly manned office have no clue of how
they should be assisting.

Over and above what Kalpesh said, ZISPA used to allow non-members to
register domains. When they changed this policy, they should have
requested ISPs to accept domain only registrations. At the moment,
most ISPs refuse domain only registrations. They are now using the
.co.zw domain as a leverage to force clients to buy more unwanted
products.

My opinion is that if ZISPA does not change as a matter of urgency,
the .co.zw namespace should be moved from them! They have no business
administering a national resource when they are so incompetent

On another note, await for the renewal of ZOSS. It will be "Reloaded" very soon!

Thanks and regards,

Moses