[Ubuntu-ZW] New linux distro to checkout

Kalpesh Thaker luminary06 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 08:54:34 GMT 2010

Hi All,

I've been using linux mint for over a week now....
and i have to admit that the next person who asks me:

"kalpesh, which is the best linux desktop distro to use on my
laptop/desktop?"  i dont think i will be answering
with ubuntu.

it makes me sad that what mint have done is give ubuntu a little more love..
and made it almost
the perfect end user distro. you just load up the dvd... and you're done.
dvd's, mp3's, java, web browser
codecs etc.. everything is there. you dont need to install anything else...
unless you want a different
email client etc.

you dont actually require an internet connection.. ...yeah ubuntu is the
same.. fine.. but if you want vlc..
you need internet. and thats just one example. the fact that our ubuntu
repo's work with mint..
means that a more complete and user friendly distro is available to end
users in zimbabwe.

which all in all.. makes me think that canonical could actually make this a
better distro if they wanted to..
but they dont.. maybe because of legal reasons.. maybe because of other
issues.. who knows.

im sorry.. but at the moment.. i couldn't recommend ubuntu to anyone...when
they can use this...
this is a better option for the average end user.

for technical people obviously ubuntu is better..

kalpesh.