[Ubuntu-ZW] Disallowing Windows but Allowing Open Source

Tapiwa Munzwa tkmunzwa at bigfoot.com
Wed Nov 25 22:27:22 GMT 2009


I know it is possible to determine the OS by fingerprinting at packet-level
(different operating systems vary in the manner they construct IP packets,
and that information can be used to determine the Operating System from
which a packet originated). I know for sure *nmap* (a network scanner) can
identify different operating systems by analyzing network packets alone. I
forgot the exact command-line option but you can pour through the man-docs
for this.

It is clearly technically feasible, but I am not sure if certain routers on
the market have this feature, or why someone would consciously turn on such
a feature

I am afraid I replied late to this thread as I receive the messages in a
digest; I hope the information is still relevant.

>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Kalpesh Thaker <luminary06 at gmail.com>
> To: John Mark Manera <john at farmersworld.co.zw>
> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:24:57 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-ZW] ubuntu and internet cafe's
> Yeah you see im not so sure about this.. the only way i can think of a
> wireless router telling the difference between the OS's of clients, would be
> through snmp? most end user wireless hardware are basic access points....
> and dont implement snmp on any scale.
>
> if you go more to the cisco/netgear side of things, then fine.. you can
> expect this level of access control... but these are feature your can expect
> on high end hardware.
>
> i know sputnik agent nms express is the free version of sputnik, and this
> is basically a nms type of system which naturally uses snmp functions
> to work. this combined with sputniknet express, allows you to setup a
> centrally managed hotspot. so in a way.. this is over and above your average
>
> wireless router being used in zimbabwe....... ... i guess you're right that
> it can be done... but after using third party software on a wireless router
> to enable it.
>
> generally speaking, on a standard wireless router/access point... it wont
> know the difference.
>
>
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 4:50 PM, John Mark Manera <john at farmersworld.co.zw
> > wrote:
>
>>  Well it depends on  the software which will be on the wireless router
>> most of these wireless routers can be upgraded n can use a software like
>> sputnik for example n this can tell the difference btwn operating systems an
>> example is a café I did called Flamsrock n on the wireless router I put
>> sputnik which can tell when a windows machine is logged in and a linux
>> machine and u can disable access to a windows or linux machine
>>
>>
>>
>> *From:* ubuntu-zw-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com [mailto:
>> ubuntu-zw-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] *On Behalf Of *Kalpesh Thaker
>> *Sent:* Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:34 PM
>> *To:* Arthur Garande
>> *Cc:* ubuntu-zw
>> *Subject:* Re: [Ubuntu-ZW] ubuntu and internet cafe's
>>
>>
>>
>> i think you may have been lied to. a wireless router cant really tell the
>> difference between operating systems of clients trying to connect to it.
>>
>>  On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Arthur Garande <agarande at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Is it true that you can configure your routers to accept wireless
>> connections from Windows machines and not from Open Source ones? Somebody
>> who knows please advise because i suspect that i have just been lied to.
>>
>> --
>> Nobody is perfect until you fall in love with them.
>>
>> --
>> Ubuntu-zw mailing list
>> Ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-zw
>> --
>> http://www.ubuntu.org.zw
>> http://zimbabwe.ubuntuforums.org
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: "Daniel Newell" <daniel at belina.co.zw>
> To: ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:53:52 +0200 (CAT)
> Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-ZW] Disallowing Windows but Allowing Open Source
> Hi Arthur,
>
> Based on your question I'm assuming you want to stop people with wireless
> from connecting their Microcrap XP/Vista/7 laptop to your Internet Cafe?
> If this is the case, why not use MAC Address filtering? It's quite simple
> to setup, and most basic wireless routers support it. You simply have to
> get the MAC address from your card(s) and add it to the list of allowed
> clients...
>
> You can find your MAC Address by typing "ifconfig -a" (As the root user or
> user with appropriate permissions). HWaddr is the MAC Address, eg:
>
> Example "ifconfig -a" output:
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:C7:1B:8C:02
>          inet addr:192.168.111.20  Bcast:192.168.111.255
>  Mask:255.255.255.0
>
> ...additional output removed...
>
>
> From
>
> Daniel
>
>
> > Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:03:45 +0200
> > From: Arthur Garande <agarande at gmail.com>
> > Subject: [Ubuntu-ZW] ubuntu and internet cafe's
> > To: ubuntu-zw <ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com>
> > Message-ID:
> >         <f5c560760911170203k2ac74165tde0eec4e936d3344 at mail.gmail.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> >
> > Is it true that you can configure your routers to accept wireless
> > connections from Windows machines and not from Open Source ones? Somebody
> > who knows please advise because i suspect that i have just been lied to.
> >
>
>
> --
> This message has been scanned for viruses and
> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> believed to be clean.
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Kalpesh Thaker <luminary06 at gmail.com>
> To: daniel at belina.co.zw
> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:44:58 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-ZW] Disallowing Windows but Allowing Open Source
> microcrap hahahaha! thats a new one :)
>
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Daniel Newell <daniel at belina.co.zw>wrote:
>
>> Hi Arthur,
>>
>> Based on your question I'm assuming you want to stop people with wireless
>> from connecting their Microcrap XP/Vista/7 laptop to your Internet Cafe?
>> If this is the case, why not use MAC Address filtering? It's quite simple
>> to setup, and most basic wireless routers support it. You simply have to
>> get the MAC address from your card(s) and add it to the list of allowed
>> clients...
>>
>> You can find your MAC Address by typing "ifconfig -a" (As the root user or
>> user with appropriate permissions). HWaddr is the MAC Address, eg:
>>
>> Example "ifconfig -a" output:
>> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:C7:1B:8C:02
>>          inet addr:192.168.111.20  Bcast:192.168.111.255
>>  Mask:255.255.255.0
>>
>> ...additional output removed...
>>
>>
>> From
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>>
>> > Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:03:45 +0200
>> > From: Arthur Garande <agarande at gmail.com>
>> > Subject: [Ubuntu-ZW] ubuntu and internet cafe's
>> > To: ubuntu-zw <ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com>
>> > Message-ID:
>> >         <f5c560760911170203k2ac74165tde0eec4e936d3344 at mail.gmail.com>
>> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>> >
>> > Is it true that you can configure your routers to accept wireless
>> > connections from Windows machines and not from Open Source ones?
>> Somebody
>> > who knows please advise because i suspect that i have just been lied to.
>> >
>>
>>
>> --
>> This message has been scanned for viruses and
>> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>> believed to be clean.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Ubuntu-zw mailing list
>> Ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-zw
>> --
>> http://www.ubuntu.org.zw
>> http://zimbabwe.ubuntuforums.org
>>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Emmanuel Gwarimbo <egwarimbo at gmail.com>
> To: ubuntu-zw <ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 20:37:56 +0200
> Subject: [Ubuntu-ZW] LoCo Team IRC Channel
> Good Day,
>
> I know most of us are not really into IRC and all, but I have taken
> the liberty to create an IRC channel for this LoCo team on
> freenode.net according to the guidelines on the ubuntu site. So here
> are the details for the channel:
>
> server: irc.freenode.net
> channel: #ubuntu-zw
>
> for an introduction to IRC and what it is all about I recommend you
> read though this article on the ubuntu wiki
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat
>
>
> regards
>
> manulite
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Manulite <manulite at gmail.com>
> To: ubuntu-zw <ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 20:39:11 +0200
> Subject: [Ubuntu-ZW] LoCo Team IRC Channel
> Good Day,
>
> I know most of us are not really into IRC and all, but I have taken
> the liberty to create an IRC channel for this LoCo team on
> freenode.net according to the guidelines on the ubuntu site. So here
> are the details for the channel:
>
> server: irc.freenode.net
> channel: #ubuntu-zw
>
> for an introduction to IRC and what it is all about I recommend you
> read though this article on the ubuntu wiki
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat
>
>
> regards
>
> manulite
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Manulite <manulite at gmail.com>
> To: ubuntu-zw <ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 20:41:22 +0200
> Subject: [Ubuntu-ZW] LoCo Team IRC Channel
> Good Day,
>
> I know most of us are not really into IRC and all, but I have taken
> the liberty to create an IRC channel for this LoCo team on
> freenode.net according to the guidelines on the ubuntu site. So here
> are the details for the channel:
>
> server: irc.freenode.net
> channel: #ubuntu-zw
>
> for an introduction to IRC and what it is all about I recommend you
> read though this article on the ubuntu wiki
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat
>
>
> regards
>
> manulite
>
>
>
> --
> Ubuntu-zw mailing list
> Ubuntu-zw at lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-zw
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-zw/attachments/20091126/5dc0ff91/attachment.htm 


More information about the Ubuntu-zw mailing list