Ubuntu and gprs connectivity

Nyasha Chasakara nchasakara at datvest.co.zw
Tue Apr 7 09:02:31 BST 2009

Its crazy when they first muted this idea Econet were thinking of charging
an access fee of 120 dollars and they nearly go away with it! I am glad that
sanity prevailed at last and they are charging 25 dollars 'uncapped' to get
you hooked! Once they have hooked be very afraid of what they will charge.
These things have limited capacity and can only accommodate a certain number
of users per base station and per cell without compromising other services.

When 3 G comes it will definitely be cool but not exactly cheap. Econet has
no competition. Netone and Telecel are miles behind in terms of data
services unless I am missing something. Years back Netone spoke of UMTS but
that was it. Telecel has never spoken about data.

I think the biggest yet untapped potential of Internet services in this
country still lies in Telone. I am on their PDSN internet service (CDMA
IS2000 internet) It's a 115K connection and you get download speeds locally
of around 12kbps and around 7 kbps on international sites at night. Problem
is its capped at 1 gig but at 10 dollars its cheap.

I have also heard of the Powertel PDSN which is based on CDMA EV-DO up to
128k when I used it on a friend's laptop it was less impressive than the
Telone service. Am told they charge 25 dollars uncapped.

There is also a company called southernet.co.zw offering Broadband internet
for 75 dollars a month. On their site they have no detail of how its
deployed.

I have enquired about Broadband in Zim but frankly I am worried no-one has
come up with a cost effective way of offering a cheap service. You need over
1500 dollars to set up such a service for your home. I cant afford it!

  _____