Open Source Classroom Management

Neil Coetzer ncoetzer at halsteds.co.zw
Tue May 20 11:06:53 BST 2008

Hi Richard et al,

I have messed around a little bit with the iTALC classroom management
package. It is definitely an excellent package BUT there are still a lot
of bugs and it doesn't seem to be stable. I managed to crash it about 5
times in the first 10 minutes. Well, the program doesn't actually crash,
but it decides that it can no longer connect to the student machines -
restart the program and it connects fine. So as I said, a little buggy
still.

With regard to "add-on" CD's: One of the things I've been working on
this week (for one of our companies) is a customized Live CD.  I am
still having a lot of issues, but the over-all plan is that the
customized Live CD will include:

      * Custom boot/shutdown screens with our company logo and colour
        scheme
      * Custom GDM theme(s) and wallpaper(s)
      * Additional packages such as msttcorefonts (MS fonts),
        ubuntu-restricted-extras (codecs etc), ndiswrapper-common and
        ndisgtk (for Windows wireless drivers), openssh-server,
        virtualbox, skype, compizconfig-settings-manager, gmountiso,
        etc. (I'm also planning to use the same live CD as a "disaster
        recovery" tool of sorts, so any suggestions of "recovery"
        programs/utilities would be appreciated).

I have basically succeeded with the first two items except that, while
the custom boot screen works nicely on the live CD, it does not install
it end the finished installation and I'm having to do this manually
afterwards. GDM themes and wallpapers are installed correctly as they
appear on the live CD. The biggest problem I've been having is getting
all the specified packages included, but I'm working on that today and
"hope" to solve it. One of the problems is that the tools I'm using to
reconstruct the live CD haven't been updated for the last few versions
of Ubuntu, so everything is not working 100% as it should.

If this all goes according to plan though, I will also be working on a
custom installation CD for Zim as well, and we could also follow the
same root for a custom edubuntu installation that hopefully won't
require any downloads. If this fails, then we still do have the option
of creating an "alternate" upgrade disc that should install any extra
packages, but I haven't tested this option yet.

NC