hi

Neil Coetzer ncoetzer at halsteds.co.zw
Tue May 6 11:53:23 BST 2008

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the introduction. That is definitely good news! As a company,
Halsteds for one would be very interested in pre-loaded Ubuntu machines,
although I'm pushing more for brandname machines and trying to steer
away from clones. One of the long-term plans of Ubuntu Zim is to
establish a list of local Ubuntu-friendly hardware suppliers.

One of the biggest issues non-technical users face when switching to any
Linux distro, is hardware drivers. What we would be aiming for
eventually is hardware suppliers who can do all the necessary homework,
and tell a client straight away that the machine is 100% Linux/Ubuntu
compatible. For example, when looking at wireless adapters, it is
currently up to the client to determine if Linux drivers are available,
which in most cases they don't do. They then get the adapter and
struggle to get it working. Or they buy a new PC and suddenly discover
that their graphics adapter doesn't handle desktop effects. If in the
long run, suppliers were willing to do all the background checks to
ensure that hardware is compatible, I'm sure Ubuntu Zim would be happy
to endorse them (hence a win-win situation). Obviously at this point
there are relatively few people who would take Linux over Windoze,
simply because they don't know enough about it, but that's one of the
things we're hoping to change :)

As you might have gathered from the discussions on this list, we're
still looking for a minimum of a 500Gb IDE hard drive for the repo
mirror. I have spoken to Virtual Computers and they would consider
"chipping in" if other suppliers could also help out. Would there be any
hope of assistance from Logical Solutions?

Cheers,
Neil

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 09:42 +0200, jonathan wrote:

> Hello all names Jonathan Hopley and I work for Logical Solutions.I have
> managed to persuade our company to sell some machines with open office
> when machine comes with no software.Hopefully will sometime will be able
> to convince them at some stage to sell ubuntu on clone machines.My
> knowledge is basic with ubuntu but whatever I learn am willing to share
> to help grow ubuntu in zim.Thanks to kalpesh at Yoafrica we now have a
> mirror for ubuntu downloads.

believed to be clean.