To do list

Neil Coetzer ncoetzer at halsteds.co.zw
Fri May 2 00:41:52 BST 2008

Hi again Ronald,

Some valid points.

Firstly, when you talk of people "joining" Ubuntu Zimbabwe, are you
referring to the LoCo Team or just the community as a whole? Can you
elaborate a little on what 'value' you think people should get from
membership?

0. Mission - Yes, I agree.
1. Vision - Once again, agreed.
2. Organisation - Team Structure - In some cases LoCo Teams operate fine
without any formal structure/leadership, and in other cases formal
structures have been established. I don't particularly mind either way
myself, but this would have to be decided on by the LoCo Team as a whole
and we would need opinions from all the members as to whether or not
they feel a formal structure is necessary at this point, and if so, to
what extent.
3. Ground Rules/Constitution - You might want to take a look at these,
which already apply to our community, as part of the worldwide Ubuntu
Community.
This Code of Conduct applies to everyone in any Ubuntu Community:
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
The Leadership Code of Conduct applies to anyone in a leadership
position, which includes all LoCo Team Members:
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/leadership-conduct
4. Registering as a non-profit organisation would definitely be a good
thing and is something we have discussed briefly before but never acted
on. Do you know how to go about this? Registering with CSZ could also be
a good plan.
5. I agree that we need to have a structure in place to handle the
sourcing of funds and handling of donations, etc. I would suggest
however that we wait until the country stabilizes a little more before
making any decisions. Should we decide to open our own bank account, the
last thing we need is to discover that the signatories have suddenly
emigrated to the UK :) However, I must be honest and say that I would be
strongly opposed to any form of membership subs as I don't feel this
would conform to the ideals of Ubuntu. Membership must be free for all,
remembering that there is no lower or upper age limit for membership and
any lack of finances for an individual should never be an issue where
membership of our community/team is concerned. Any funds that come in
must be in the form of donations, or as a result of any fund raising
projects that we might run. As a compromise, we could perhaps have a
voluntary subscription for those members who are willing and able to pay
it, but at the end of the day it would basically be a donation.

Web site:

As far as I know Yo!Africa uses Joomla as a default (Kalpesh, please
confirm), and in my opinion Joomla is the best to use so this would
probably suit us well. Raymond and I did work on a site last year and
most of the graphics and layout were completed, with only the content
left to do. However, both of us have recently changed jobs and moved to
Harare (him from Kwekwe, me from Masvingo) so have not had much time
lately to continue working on it. At the time, we designed a standard
site (without using any content management systems). I'm at home until
Monday but will make a plan next week to let everyone see the "look" for
the site that we had come up with. What I would suggest, if everyone
approves the "look" of the site, is that we then apply that look to a
custom Joomla template. Since the site was designed with css, we could
just transfer those style sheets to the Joomla template. I have only
messed around a little with customising Joomla templates, so if anyone
else is more confident in this area I would most willingly hand it over.

Off the top of my head, I would say the main priorities for the site are
as follows:

      * To provide links to Ubuntu resources for Zimbabweans, including
        local repository information, local downloads of Ubuntu iso's,
        the Zimbabwe Ubuntu forum, mailing list and LoCo Team pages
        (which could be relocated from the wiki to the local site, once
        it's up and running).
      * To provide information and further links relating to open
        source. I did e-mail ZOSS last year in connection with some sort
        of affiliation and interlinking of sites, but to date have not
        received a response.
      * To provide notice for any upcoming/planned events in Zim.
      * To provide updates on Zimbabwean projects (such as the Freedom
        Toaster).
      * In the future it might be an option to have our forum hosted
        locally with the site, but I think we're still too small for
        this. At present with the forum being hosted along with all the
        other Ubuntu forums, we can benefit from the exposure and
        experience of Ubuntu users worldwide, whereas a local forum
        would only be read by the relatively few Zimbabwean users.

We have received approval from Canonical to register the domain
www.ubuntu.org.zw and I have requested this to be done through Yo!Africa
but have not received feedback yet. Kalpesh, can we liaise on this? As a
side note, I did notice that somebody has registered the domain
www.ubuntu.co.zw which has nothing to do with Ubuntu Linux - I'm not
sure if we have any grounds to complain regarding copyright infringement
under Zimbabwean law? Probably not. Does anyone know?

Ronald thanks again for your input and enthusiasm. I must admit that I
have been a bit lax following my move up here, but I'm fairly well
settled now so we definitely need to get the ball rolling again. I think
we should definitely organise a team meeting if possible at some point
soon.

Regards,
Neil

believed to be clean.