Ubuntu and Certification in Zimbabwe

ronald munjoma simbiso at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:23:45 BST 2008

Hello Hilton,

I came across your email on the Zimbabwe Ubuntu Mailing list about Ubuntu
and Certifications in Zimbabwe.

Ubuntu has gained wide adoption in Zimbabwe, in business, schools and home
computers (not sure of the numbers as yet). I know for sure Solusi
Univeristy should be running 300  Ubuntu desktops (Thembi, correct me if I
am wrong), Harare Institute of Technology should also have a significant
number of Ubuntu Desktops. There are also many primary and second schools
that are running Ubuntu Desktops. You will find that most of thesse
computers were donated tho these institutions by Computer Aid or some other
NGO and they came with Ubuntu CDs or preinstalled (hope the Educators will
not run pirated copies of Windows XP on these machines.)

Gateway Primary School has also moved most of their Desktops to Kubuntu. I
know someone working with schools in rural Nyanga who is sourcing computers
running Ubuntu (I will introduce you to him if you are interested.)

On the business side Halsteads and Power Speed Electricals have decided to
standardise on the Ubuntu for their desktops.

We have a number of Civil Society Organisations using FOSS, but msot of them
are using proprietary solutions, I strongly feel we should also target them.

The most popular IT certification in Zimbabwe right now is ICDL (Windows
based). So many school leavers and employees have gone through ICDL training
and accreditation. Blue Chip corporates such as Delta run ICDL training
programs in house and all new administration employees go through the
training.

We have  companies offering Microsoft training and certification programs
(Winsys), for Novell CLP & CLE we have Novell Zimbabwe, a Novell Practicum
Center, which is also a Pearson UVE Exam center and is becoming a RedHat
Training and Certification center, through their relationship with Africa
Technology Networks. The University of Zimbabwe and the National University
of Science and Technology are CISCO training centers, NUST is also a CISCO
testing center. For Oracle we have Independant Technologies and Alpha
System. There are also quite a number of colleges offering IT courses, NIIT,
McMaine, Trsut Academy and Speciss come to mind.

--
Ronald Munjoma
IT & Business Consultant

ronaldm at actbusinesssolutions.com
Cell: +263 11 632 444

Adaptive Planning
Adaptive Planning Enterprise Edition V 4.0
Budgeting, Forecasting  & Reporting Made Easy
www.adaptiveplanning.com

Ubuntu
linux for human beings
www.ubuntu-zw.org