[ubuntu-za] Nautilus double click doesn't work.

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 08:31:59 UTC 2019

I have recently re-installed 18.03 (having tried some other distributions
and deciding to go back to the devil I at least used to know). Everything
looks good except for two problems. The first (that my fstab changes won't
let me declare my home folder on a different drive), I suspect is a
hardware problem. (I can get round it by mounting my home folder manually).

The second problem is a strange one though. When I am in Nautilus and
double click on a file, it does not open. Instead the little wheel goes
round and round like the bus going around the town and then disappears
without the file being opened. (This seems to happen with all file types -
images, documents, pdfs.)

There is nothing wrong with the files. I can open them directly with the
right application. I can also use Thunar (which I find a much friendlier
file manager anyway, but which doesn't seem to work with Dropbox so well),
and the files open fine.

There are some old reports of this problem on the Internet - going back to
16.03 - but I can't find anything that looks like a solution.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Bill