[ubuntu-za] Fwd: Re: UBUNTU TERUGVOER

Bruce Pieterse dev at santura.co.za
Fri Mar 29 22:11:53 UTC 2019

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, 23:39 Bruce Pieterse, <dev at santura.co.za> wrote:
> > > Many thanks Bruce.
> > >
> > > Would the fact that his Windows installation on the same hard
> > drive
> > > is still running fine, alter your opinion about a potentially
> > damaged
> > > HDD in any way?
> >
> > It's really hard to say whether the entire disk or just a portion
> > of
> > the disk might be unreadable. I would say, that where Ubuntu
> > resides on
> > the disk at the moment, is where part of the drive is now
> > unreadable.
> > One way to tell is if Windows locks up from time to time, then
> > parts of
> > the disk where Windows resides are also damaged.  For me that
> > indicates
> > that the drive is on the way out. If Windows is fine, then you
> > _might_ be in luck with a fresh install.
> >
> > My response was purely from experience with having a similar
> > problem a
> > few times over the years. The disk would just disappear then
> > reappear a number of times in the OS and would take ~5-15 seconds
> > to be mounted by the kernel again (root partition was not on these
> > disks). I could see this by doing a tail -f /var/log/syslog or
> > journalctl -f, for systemd nowadays, and you would see the same
> > "I/O error, dev sda, <sector number> like the ones in your
> > screenshot. A few weeks later, they stopped working or were to
> > unreliable to put data on.
> >
> > This is also why I use the disks app in gnome for all hdd problems,
> > just for the smart data I can view there... I'm sure there's other
> > ways though.

Correct, you can install the  smartmontools package then run sudo
smartctl --all /dev/sda. This command is pretty verbose and not as
pretty as the SMART data that is shown in Gnome Disks.

The attributes that we normally want to look at are 5 and 197:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH
TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-
fail  Always       -       0
197
Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
    -       0

A Raw Value of 0, is good. If they are non zero and seem to be climbing
daily, or weekly, you might want to consider backing up and trashing
the drive.

This page should help clarify things a bit more around reading smart
data: http://www.easis.com/smart-value-interpretation.html

https://askubuntu.com/questions/885062/root-file-system-requires-manual-fsck