[ubuntu-za] Help needed with Ubuntu Mate

Jan jan at verslank.net
Thu Mar 28 04:04:28 UTC 2019

Good day all,

My friend in Pretoria is a newbie to Ubuntu.

After the power outages and associated interruptions and reboots he is
stuck with a black screen with a lot of coding, a "initrams" message and
a terminal. He is connected via dual-boot Windoze, also has a laptop
which he might be able to get going.

I have suggested he should try to boot on an old kernel at startup, or
recovery mode, or try these commands:

sudo aptitude reinstall ubuntu-desktop grub-pc grub-pc-bin

sudo touch /forcefsck

|sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair|||
|sudo apt-get update|||
|sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair|

He is not making progress. How can we best connect with him to help him
please?

Best wishes,

Jan