[ubuntu-za] Failed to load kernel modules

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:33:32 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I arrived home (after being away in Joeys for the weekend attending my
grandson's 18th birthday party) and my Ubuntu 18.04 would not boot. it went
most of the way through the boot process but then dropped into terminal
mode and told me that ' we are in emergency mode'. The error message, a few
lines above, says 'Failed to load Kernel Modules'.

As I was quite keen on doing a clean up anyway, I thought that this was a
good opportunity to do a fresh install. So I tried that. (I now think that
this was a very poor decision, but there is no going back now
unfortunately.)

The install does not go through cleanly. At the end it gives me an error
message that it could not clean up past packages or something. (I am sorry
- I should have noted this down but didn't.) It then tells me to remove the
installation media and reboot. I do, but the same error as before - Failed
to load Kernel Modules.

i have tried Googling this error but all the situations described do not
come close to being the same as mine - usually people seem to get the eror
after upgrading. I have not just upgraded and have been running 18.04 since
July or August last year.I am afraid that the solutions that I read on
Google confuse me completely and I have not understood them well enough to
think of trying any of them.

My configuration might be a bit unusual - I have a 1TB hard drive with my
Home directory (and the boot sector). I also have a 128Mb SSD for the
operating system. This has been running happily since October or so (and
seems to work very well and fast).

(I did trying installing the boot sector on the SSD but still get the same
error.)

I have no idea whether I am facing a hardware error or if I have somehow
destroyed something important. The only extraordinary happenings have been
some power failures - not only this week with load sharing but two strange
ones last week before I went away.

I would appreciate any ideas or pointers in the right direction.

Bill