[ubuntu-za] 18.04 releases

Frans de waal meesterarend at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 17:57:05 UTC 2018

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018, 19:15 Jan <jan at verslank.net> wrote:

> My experience was similar, but I put it down to the fact that Ubuntu 18.04
> is still too hot off the press so I reverted to Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> Jan Greeff
> Tuintuiste 75, Posbus 3575, Bela Bela 0480
> Tel. 014 736 6676
> Skype: jan.greeff
> Gesondheid sonder grense: www.verslank.net
> Jy verloor nooit deur lief te hê nie. Jy verloor altyd deur terug te hou.
>
> On 2018/10/16 10:53, Bill Cairns wrote:
>
> Rant: I have been a faithful Linux user and advocate for more nearly 15
> years now. It was way back in 2004 that I first committed my major machine
> to running Linux. Never in this time have I experienced the problems that I
> have had with the various versions of Ubuntu 18.04. Nearly every time in
> the past Ubuntu has just worked after installation. This time I have had to
> spend days getting Ubuntu to work to my satisfaction – and even after a
> couple of months some stuff is still not right. (Ok so the conversion away
> from Unity is part of the problem.)
>
> Xubuntu, which I have run on my (12 year old) laptop for the past 6 years
> or so, was so slow under 18.04 that it was unworkable. OK , after a couple
> of hours, I managed to improve that by making a minor fix. (If I could find
> a minor fix by searching the net, why can't the minor fix be incorporated
> in the standard version?) It is still slow though. So I decided to try
> Puppy Linux. That is a mess: the ubuntu startup disk creator does not work
> with Puppy. Use Unetbootin they said. So I install Unetbootin but it does
> not work on 18.04. OK – I eventually use mkusb (finding out about that was
> not trivial either). Puppy eventually works but will not save the
> configuration from session to session. I waste some more time trying to
> find out what is wrong. Eventually I say what the hell and decide to give
> Lubuntu a try. (I don't like the fact that Puppy only runs in administrator
> mode; that it is still stuck with 14.04 repositories ...) So I download
> Lubuntu. The first thing I find is that Lubuntu does not give the option to
> run live from a USB so I have to install it. It takes longer to install
> than Ubuntu did and gives me far fewer options about how and what I want to
> install. Then the wireless connection does not work. Just flat does not
> work. I do some more research – Google likes me, I have spent more time
> with Google than my wife lately. There are a stack of suggested fixes. I am
> not sure that I have the interest to pursue them any more. At least Xubuntu
> worked even if it was very slowly.
>
> I am really beginning to doubt my commitment to Ubuntu and Linux.
> Torvaldes recently said that the big problem with desktop Linux is that
> people don't want to download and install operating systems themselves. I
> would agree but would add that if I do have to download an operating
> system, I would expect it to work. I think that all the 18.04 releases that
> [...]

I must admit that I too have had some doubts with the fact that Ubuntu
18.04 for some reason stopped working on my nettop pc... Installed x ubuntu
and no wifi adaptor get detected eventually on second install of lubuntu I
decide to remove all but the home directories and no problems yet...
Switching to new network tools is great but then it should work as
expected... Still have also been using Linux in one form or another as my
main os for some tome now.