[ubuntu-za] Wi-Fi

Søren Aalto soren.aalto at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 11:13:23 UTC 2018

Another option -- which is about the same price as a dongle is one of those
(I have a TP-link one) multi-function WiFi repeater / bridge / AP devices
that would function as a WiFi client and give you an ethernet interface
(in one of the modes).

Warning -- the one I have doesn't work with WPA2 *enterprise* (e.g. it
can't supply a username + password in the credentials, only a PSK).

But I have been fairly successful with plugging in cheap WiFI dongles
under Ubuntu and they "Just Work".  What shocked me...was that
I expected the same under OS/X and...*nothing*.  It doesn't recognise
the USB device at all. Pity...cause I have one of those USB WiFi devices
with an detachable antenna that provides better range / sensitivity.

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 12:25 PM David Apter <dave.apter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Run the cable. Probably cheaper to install than dodgy WiFi dongle that may
> even not get a decent signal. Also can then have a wired 'switch' for other
> devices.
>
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2018, 11:55 Anton May <antonmay at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would suggest to start here ->
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported
>>
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 at 11:34, Mark Widdicombe <markwiddicombe at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Good day all,
>>>
>>> My desktop needs wifi on account of the flakes from Vodacom installing
>>> my new router downstairs in my house, and I am reluctant to run ethernet
>>> from there to my office upstairs. I bought a tp-link wifi dongle (AC600)
>>> and have spent most of the morning on Google trying to get drivers to get
>>> it to work, but without any luck.  I'm not prepared to waste any more time
>>> on it, so I'm going to return it on Monday.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a 'plug & play' alternative? I'm gatvol of having
>>> to jump through hoops every time I buy new hardware.
>>>
>>> Oh, I'm running Ubuntu 16.04.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Mark
>>> --