[ubuntu-za] Training?

Paolo Gigante paolo.gigante.sa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 13:45:56 UTC 2017

Hi Mike,

I am not too sure what generalised formal training there is in SA for
linux. It might be worth looking into a distribution specific course. I am
not too sure if there is an RHCSA/RHCE/RHCA equivalent for Ubuntu however I
know there are a few Redhat training sites in Jhb.

The courses are as follows:
RHCSA Part 1 - Redhat certified systems administrator (Fairly basic redhat
administration)
https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/rh124-red-hat-system-administration-i
RHCSA Part 2 - Slightly more advances administration but still mostly
focused on client setup
https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/rh134-red-hat-system-administration-ii
RH199 course - Combination fast track of the previous 2 cources. (If you
already fairly comfortable with Linux then I recommend this)
https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/rh199-rhcsa-rapid-track-course
EX200 - Is the exam for the certification of the RH199
https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/ex200-red-hat-certified-system-administrator-rhcsa-exam

For a more advanced course you could look at the RHCE. This is the course
link (
https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/rh254-red-hat-system-administration-iii)
and this is the exam link (
https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/ex300-red-hat-certified-engineer-rhce-exam
)

It looks like they have a training center near Woodmead (
https://training-lms.redhat.com/st_toolkit/common/pages/google_map_window.html?long=28.057596&lat=-26.044587&fulladd=5%20Mellis%20Road%20Mellis%20Office%20Park%20Rivonia%20Johannesburg%202128
)

To be clear, I am not trying to push Redhat on Ubuntu users however I have
not really seen any generalized linux training that is as well maintained
as the Redhat cources. Last time I looked the the likes of the comptia
exam, they were still teaching people about IRQ conflicts between 28k
modems and mice. While the background knowledge and underlying concepts are
still vitally important to understand, in the real world, it in less common
to come across those issues.

Maybe someone can point you in the direction of more Ubuntu targeted
training. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Paolo