[ubuntu-za] Swap space

Bill T bturner02.sa at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 05:19:29 UTC 2017

On 28/10/2017 21:52, Frans de waal wrote:
> Yes you can checkout hiw to make a swap file in linux... Basics is to
> create an bkank disk image with dd, format as swap and mount as swap,
> you can have as many of these files as you want, no partitioning needed
yes - plus 1 for that. have been using a swap file for years now and
AFAIK, many distros (well Ubuntu anyway) default to a swap file. If you
have enough disk file space it is much easier to manage. I started using
swap files because I have several versions of Linux installed and every
time I reinstalled any of them the UUID of the swap partition changed.
The swap file can be implemented at any time - you don't even need to
re-boot.
All the best
Bill