[ubuntu-za] Thunderbind resolveip issue

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Mon Nov 6 10:12:17 UTC 2017

Hi.

Not sure if this is the same issue, a related issue, or something
completely different, but I'll share just in case. This happened to me
last Friday (3 Nov) when I was trying to send a really urgent email. (of
course)

When trying to send the email, I got a pop-up with a message that
indicated that a server I was trying to access/use for sending, had been
listed as a spam server.

/An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
"JunkMail rejected - ([192.168.1.108]) [105.186.218.31]:49698 is in an RBL:
https://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/105.186.218.31".
  Please check the message recipient "d***@st********.co.za" and try again./

At first I thought it was the Afrihost server on which my domain/email
is hosted, since I've had problems with that before. But it wasn't that.
Turns out, the server listed as being at fault was the Telkom server to
which I was connected for my ADSL connection. However, further
investigation revealed that the server was not actually listed.

Much research later, I found that  the problem was because I'd not set
up my SMTP server options with "connection security" options. I'd never
needed it before. Suddenly, as of last week, it began throwing up the
above error message.

I set SMTP connection security to STARTTLS for all my addresses, and the
problem was instantly solved.

Hope this is of some help.

Robin