[ubuntu-za] Thunderbind resolveip issue

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Sat Nov 4 06:18:45 UTC 2017

Hi Guys

I've been noticing an strange issue and found an accidental band-aid,
but I'm baffled.

Recently I found regular issues with Thurderbird failing to connect to
SMTP servers when send emails.  After repeated tries the emails simply
didn't want to go through.  The problem progressively got worse.  At
first I simply saved the email as draft then opened it again and it
would send it.  Later when that didn't work I would close and re-open
Thunderbird and send it.

When that failed I considered that there was something wrong with the
server and tried "resolveip smtp.vodamail.co.za" on the command line,
which instantly resolved the IP address. Furthermore, immediately after
executing the command Thunderbird would connect and send the email!

Although it mostly occurs on a specific email address, it sometimes
occurs on another as well.

So it appears there is a strange resolve / DNS issue, but I don't get it:
- I'm not having issues with any other applications, e.g. Chrome
continues to work normally while having this issue
- I have multiple email addresses on Thunderbird, and when one email
address is giving this issue, the others don't.

Doesn't all applications use the same operating system mechanism for DNS
queries?

Any ideas?

Regards
Charl