[ubuntu-za] Swap space

Bill T bturner02.sa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 05:05:53 UTC 2017

On 01/11/2017 16:05, Bill Cairns wrote:
> Thanks to those who helped me with this problem.
>
> I ended up creating a swap file. In case someone else is thinking of
> going down the same path, here are some comments on my experience.
>
> I followed the method described in
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq.
Glad it worked out for you. Just for info, you can also use "fallocate"
to create the swap file - it is faster than dd and since the file gets
formatted by mkswap, I can't see any reason why not. More important are
the permissions for the file since it may have sensitive info on it -
set them to 600. For a good write-up on the whole subject check :-
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-swap-on-ubuntu-14-04
Cheers
Bill