[ubuntu-za] Naughty Nautilus?

Jan jan at verslank.net
Sat Feb 11 07:22:21 UTC 2017

On 11/02/2017 06:54, Jan wrote:
> Good morning all,
>
> After replacing Nemo file manager with Nautilus yesterday, my Unity
> desktop booted to a black screen this morning:
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/287571/desktop-shows-a-white-or-black-background-instead-of-wallpapers
>

> None of the fixes suggested here helped, so I used Timeshift to
> restore my system which obviously also restored Nemo as the default
> file manager. So now everything is back to normal except for the fact
> that Nautilus, which enabled me to access my wife's system, seems to
> be messy in Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> This is not a major issue because she can access my system, which is
> all that we need at this stage, but is anybody else having issues with
> Nautilus on 16.04 Unity?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jan

Subsequently, I have re-installed Nautilus and followed these
instructions, the problem appears to be solved:

Following the hint by kenn
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/385594/wallpaper-suddenly-went-black-on-ubuntu-13-10#comment516070_385594>,
I verified that my problems are caused by Cinnamon. I never installed it
myself, but I use Nemo. The package catalogue
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/nemo> does not list any Cinnamon
packages as dependencies for Nemo, but somehow it got fully installed.
The solution to bring the wallpaper back to functioning order is thus:

|sudo apt-get remove cinnamon* sudo apt-get autoremove |

And afterwards log out and log back in.