[ubuntu-za] ubuntu-za Digest, Vol 146, Issue 10

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Sat Dec 16 19:14:32 UTC 2017

Jan,

On 2017-12-16 06:00, Jan wrote:
> Surely this mail is off-topic - if it came from the Ubuntu-za Digest,
> please unsubscribe me.

You seem to be a little unclear on how mailing lists work, especially
ones run by Mailman. When you initially subscribe to the mailing list
you have the option of either getting every e-mail as it is sent, or a
digest - a daily or weekly e-mail containing all the e-mails sent in
that time period. This is often used by folks who have limited Internet
access, or just want a little less "noise" in their inbox.

Now, in this particular case, it looks like someone who is subscribed to
our mailing list (and uses the digest option) has probably had their
e-mail account compromised, and now a spam bot has sent an e-mail reply
to the digest e-mail that person received. You'll notice the list of
images attached. My guess is that those images have been created to take
advantage of a vulnerability in how Windows displays images in the hopes
that they can infect some people.

Lastly, all mailing lists provide an option at the bottom of each e-mail
to unsubscribe from that list. Mailing the list and asking to be removed
is never received well by those who know mailing lists, and you may
encounter less-than-savoury replies if you were to post that. If you
really want to get off this list (which I doubt you do), just follow the
link at the bottom of this e-mail.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

--
Raoul Snyman