[ubuntu-za] Portable hard drive

leesharp at hal-pc.org leesharp at hal-pc.org
Mon Oct 24 15:17:30 UTC 2016

> Good day all, my new portable Samsung T3 SSD (250 GB) needs installation
> of extfat-utils to open in Ubuntu. I cannot install this software when
> running on live cd. Is there a better way out, e.g. by reformatting to
> get away from its current exFAT HTFS/NTFS?

Actually, you can install it, but you have to install it each time you
boot. :)  Not a perfect solution...

That said, I was talking with a friend the other day about moving files
between a WinPC and a Mac.  Performance on a Mac with exFAT and with NTFS
is poor, so he uses EXT2! Really!  And he does not use Linux!  But Mac
supports it out of the box, and Windows with a driver.  Windows will also
support up to ext3 (which is ext2 with journalling) with the ext2 driver
(by turning off journalling...), but has issues with the default setup of
ext4 and writing.  So, I would format it ext2.

Lee