[ubuntu-za] Me again

Benico van der Westhuizen benicovdw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 06:31:02 UTC 2016

HI Jan
This is not a solution suggestion - but just general comments.
I have been using Linux since 1999 (redhat 6.0) and I have come to accept
that from time to time things can break.  I used to first wait a day or two
after new updates came out and then googled for any problems - but the pace
/ rate of updates has increased in the past few years. I'm currently
running ubuntu 14.05 - and I could not get gnome working correctly - and
unity's behaviour changed from update to update.  I use the computer in a
daily production environment at work - and I only have "so" much time to
tinker and fiddle around.  Because of that I installed the mate-desktop -
and just USE it.  The interaction between specific graphic cards, openGL,
compiz, etc. is complex - and things can break easily with seemingly small
tweaks.  It is not a shame to format and re-install - I have gone this
route previously - in stead of doing a distro upgrade.  You can run "top"
or gnome-system-monitor (perhaps there is a unity-system-monitor, I have a
mate-system-monitor) and see what process is eating up the cpu. And then
google for the solution. But if you get seriously stuck the time wasted to
fix things compared to a 20min re-install must be evaluated.  And if you
REALY want to become an expert you can always go the "linux from scratch"
route - if operating system configuration is your passion.  One thing that
helped me A LOT in the past was to google for "Linux compatibility HP
EliteBook 8440P" - and from there you can pick up potential problems with
sound cards, graphic cards, WiFi hardware, etc.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net> wrote:

> Hi guys, my apologies but I'm back with bigger problems.
>
> On reboot my machine, running on kDE with Unity desktop, lost the
> following that I am aware of:
>
> 1. Internet connection
> 2. Connection to wireless mouse
> 3. Screen resolution settings (its on a fixed resolution)
>
> The cpu is obviously under strain, running at close to 100% which shows in
> reaction speed.
>
> I connected a wired mouse which was picked up after a further reboot.
>
> I have booted to recovery mode and tried all the fixes, no change.
>
> Any suggestions will be welcomed.
>
> Jan

Kind Regards
Benico van der Westhuizen