[ubuntu-za] Fw: [sulug] UNIX Sys Admin

Gibson, Hilton <hgibson@sun.ac.za> hgibson at sun.ac.za
Tue Oct 4 16:25:53 UTC 2016

FYI

Hilton Gibson
Stellenbosch University Library
http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2992-208X

From: sulug-request at sympa.sun.ac.za <sulug-request at sympa.sun.ac.za> on behalf of Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com>
Sent: 04 October 2016 04:17 PM
To: sulug at sympa.sun.ac.za
Subject: [sulug] UNIX Sys Admin

Hi,

We are looking for a UNIX system administrator. This will be mostly remote
but you need to be around Cape Town to be able to setup hardware on occasion.
Here are the essentials:

* GNU/Linux (.deb/.rpm), FreeBSD, Mac OS (virtually no Windows)
* KVM-based virtualization (virsh, libvirt, bridging)
* Network (ssh, rsync, postfix, mailman, OpenWRT, etc)
* Bash scripting ($* vs ${@})
* Security (X509, letsencrypt, Yubikey, etc)
* ZFS/Btrfs/COW (one-shot VMs, etc)

In a nutshell, at Code Synthesis we build development tools and you will
help maintain the development/deployment infrastructure:

http://codesynthesis.com

https://build2.org

In a bit more detail: We develop (native) development tools mostly around
C++. This involves quite a bit of testing (VMs). We also run some services
(e.g., package repositories, etc) on VPS.

Our philosophy is to keep everything as simple and as close to "native"
as possible.  Specifically, we try to stay away from everything "cloud"
and "enterprise". We even prefer not to touch Python if we can help it.
Ideally we try to solve our problems with proven native tools and simple
bash scripts whenever possible.

To give you an example, here is our approach to monitoring: we chose monit
over more "enterprisy" (but hairy) solutions such as Zabbix, etc. We found
its configuration file to be fairly straightforward but a bit low-level and
repetitive. So we built a little higher-level language on top of it using
m4. To send SMS'es we wrote a simple bash script that uses curl to call the
Twilio API. We've also documented the setup process in a checklist for
when we need to setup another VPS like this. And all this (scripts, sample
config file, m4-based language, checklist) is tracked in a git repository.

This is a good example of how we like to roll.

If you are interested: boris at codesynthesis.com.

Thanks,
Boris

The integrity and confidentiality of this email is governed by these terms / Hierdie terme bepaal die integriteit en vertroulikheid van hierdie epos. http://www.sun.ac.za/emaildisclaimer