[ubuntu-za] Not Optimum Mode

Midrand Opensource midrandopensource at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 12:21:28 UTC 2016

Thanks to those who responded!

Yes... It's a Samsung monitor: a SyncMaster 720N. The only other monitor
I've got is also a Samsung. But I don't think it's the monitor as both
monitors give me the same error message and they both work just fine on my
girlfriend's Lubuntu system.

I've managed to discover that I've got an AMD Rage XL PCI (rev 27) video
card, and I suspect that's the problem.

The really strange thing is that after every nth time (a dozen or so) it
will boot! So there's a degree of randomness that confuses me: it should
either work, or not work. Not work sometimes...

Also... is it not possible to use whatever driver Ubuntu uses when it
installs the system? Although it's not pretty, I can see the screen just
fine during installation. It's only when installation is complete and I
reboot that I get a problem.

Regards,
Mike