[ubuntu-za] Not Optimum Mode

Matthew French matthew at gillyweed.co.za
Mon Nov 21 15:29:09 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Midrand Opensource <
midrandopensource at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Not Optimum Mode: Recommended Mode: 1280x1024 60Hz"
>
> I can't (usually) get any further.

I'm guessing you have a Samsung monitor?
http://www.samsung.com/au/support/skp/faq/1056174

If you can, try a different monitor?

Otherwise, can you see the GRUB menu? If not you need to get this working
first. You may then need to do a separate step to get the kernel to display
correctly. I do not think re-installing Ubuntu will solve the issue as the
problem is actually with the monitor, and you need to tell Ubuntu to be
less optimistic about what the monitor supports.

Don't know if this will work, but you can try the following[1]:
1. set GRUB_TERMINAL=console
2. comment out GRUB_GFXMODE
3. edit the kernel parameters to set:

CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="vga=normal nofb nomodeset video=vesafb:off
i915.modeset=0"

You might need to adapt this for the version of Ubuntu you are using?

Hope this helps.

- Matthew

[1] Recommendation borrowed from
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2225544