[ubuntu-za] 14.04 crash during update

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Tue Jul 12 14:53:56 UTC 2016

On 07/11/2016 04:07 PM, Raoul Snyman wrote:

> I honestly don't know why people stick to LTS versions for their desktops. It makes no sense. You end up with antiquated software and no real updates, save for a few kernel or other security updates (which are not guaranteed to work anyway, since often the Ubuntu team is patching the kernel).
>
> "I want a stable desktop" is not valid, since for the most part the bi-annual releases are more than stable enough for a desktop.

I too run only LTS and it is because I was burned on 6 month releases
and poor stability.  And I do not really roll out the LTS until the
first point release.  (I still consider 16.04 in "testing")  After 6
months, it is rock solid and stays that way.

As for old software, there are PPAs for that.  If I need a specific
update, I can get it, but usually I do not.  The only thing I have not
been able to easily update on 14.06 is python, so I have to put up with
those pita error messages.

			Lee