[ubuntu-za] 14.04 crash during update

Matthew French matthew at gillyweed.co.za
Mon Jul 11 11:05:45 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Deon Pretorius <deon1964 at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> I did look through wiki, does not look good. Will have to backup and
> re-install

If you don't do so already, it is good practice to create a separate
partition for the home directory. This makes it easier to upgrade and also
a lot simpler to replace the entire installation with something else
without losing critical data.

I would still backup the home directory (just in case I have finger trouble
or am using a distro with an overly aggressive installer that reformats
everything). I also make a second backup of the /etc directory because
after reformatting I often find I have some obscure package installed and I
need to remember what its config was. /etc is small so making the backup is
quick, but can save me hours of searching if I need it.

My typical desktop install would be:
/ (root partition): 10Gb, using distro's default filesystem. Usually 10Gb
is more than enough for the root partition + var + etc.
swap: allocate 2 x physical RAM. Actually, swap is far less important these
days, but old habits die hard.
/home: the rest of the hard drive.

If I'm playing with distros, then maybe create another 10Gb partition so I
can swap between them.

If the machine doubles as my games (i.e. Windows) machine, then I'll first
decide how much space the games will require. Although these days it would
be quite common to have a small Windows partition on an SSD and then a
whole hard drive dedicated to Steam. :-)

Hope this helps someone...

- Matthew