[ubuntu-za] Router IP addresses

Xandor Schiefer me at xandor.co.za
Fri Jan 29 06:14:24 UTC 2016

Hi Jan,

Most routers allow you to set a specific IP address for any MAC address,
even within the dynamically assigned IP range, and it will only assign
those specific IP addresses to the correct MAC addresses.

IIRC You don't have to, but really should, set up the printer to expect
to be assigned an IP address instead of requesting a specific one.

That way you can still count on the printer having a predicable IP on
that network, and if you ever need to move the printer to a different
network (for some people this is a regular thing), you wouldn't have to
reconfigure the printer every time.

Obviously this works for all kinds of devices, not just printers.

Kind regards,

Xandor Schiefer
079 706 5620

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the
National Security Agency (NSA) and other organizations in secret. The
parties to this email do not consent to the retrieving or storing of
this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing,
copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you
believe you have received this communication in error, please delete
it immediately.