[ubuntu-za] DHCP DNS not included in DNS lookup

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Mon Jan 25 20:18:24 UTC 2016

On 25/01/2016 17:38, Frans de waal wrote:

> Where's the beagle getting it's ip address from?
> Are that dhcp server configured correctly?

The Beaglebone got its IP address for eth0 from my router.  Based on the
lease info it seem to get the DNS server...

$cat /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases
lease {
   interface "eth0";
   fixed-address 10.0.0.110;
   option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
   option routers 10.0.0.2;
   option dhcp-lease-time 86400;
   option dhcp-message-type 5;
   option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.2;
   option dhcp-server-identifier 10.0.0.2;
   option domain-name "Home";
   renew 1 2016/01/25 15:18:29;
   rebind 1 2016/01/25 15:18:29;
   expire 1 2016/01/25 15:18:29;
}

> Check your hosts file,  or specify a nameserver in the interfaces
> file,  then update your system.  Should do the job.

The device will be moving around between networks, so adding a name
server to the interfaces file is not the best idea, unless I add all the
name servers for all the networks manually.
Can you add a name server if a port is configured for DHCP?

I have temporarily solved the problem by adding some of the name servers
to the resolvconf setup: and rebooting
$ cat /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail
domain localdomain
search localdomain
nameserver 10.0.0.2  <-- entry added here
nameserver 192.168.1.1

This is not a good solution though as it only works if I add all the
name servers manually.  Would much rather have it added dynamically as
the Beaglebone connects to the network.

Charl