[ubuntu-za] Old(ish) Laptop

Ray Lombard ray.lombard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 03:24:22 UTC 2016

Gentlemen,

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 quite comfortably on an 8 year old Acer laptop
with Chromium as the browser and LibreOffice.   No problems.  However, any
distro after that may be a bridge too far. My next project will have to be
a 64 bit laptop as I have read that 32 bit Ubuntu distros may be
discontinued soon.

All of the best,

Ray Lombard

On 18 April 2016 at 18:36, Charl Le Roux <charl.leroux at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Karl, Ubuntu Mate.  It's very popular these days, Martin
> Wimpress is doing a great job.
>

> On 17 April 2016 at 21:47, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal-pc.org> wrote:
>
>> On 04/17/2016 01:49 PM, Bill Cairns wrote:
>>
>>> My present plan is to install a full Unity system and see how it goes. I
>>> will cut out all the fudge (I have already done that on my main system
>>> because I really don't need fancy). If the clunker still struggles, I
>>> will try using Xfce rather than Unity. (This is how I ran for some time
>>> before Unity the Windows menu in the Window title bar - Gimp just won't
>>> work without it).  If that is still unsatisfactory I will go to plan C.
>>> I am not sure what plan C is yet but I will certainly look at Mate and
>>> Cinnamon and even Lubuntu.
>>>

>> I use Gnome Flashback.  It removes the cruft and runs very lean.
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2302432  But it is still full
>> Ubuntu.
>>

>>                         Lee
>>
>> --