[ubuntu-za] Old(ish) Laptop

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 18:49:12 UTC 2016

Thanks all. My idea is to use the old computer as a travelling companion -
that means mostly for email, occasional browsing, storing pictures and a
bit of word processing. I have used it occasionally in the past to do just
that using XP. And yes, Firefox can be frustrating with Chrome little
better. (I have found that running multiple tabs is not a good idea).
Irfanview and Open Office (I am running an old version) run fine once they
get started so I don't foresee problems with gThumb or Libre Office. I
expect Linux to run better (not very much better, but better) than XP. Of
course there will be fewer frustrations and less bad language without
Windows.

My present plan is to install a full Unity system and see how it goes. I
will cut out all the fudge (I have already done that on my main system
because I really don't need fancy). If the clunker still struggles, I will
try using Xfce rather than Unity. (This is how I ran for some time before
Unity the Windows menu in the Window title bar - Gimp just won't work
without it).  If that is still unsatisfactory I will go to plan C. I am not
sure what plan C is yet but I will certainly look at Mate and Cinnamon and
even Lubuntu.

Bill