[ubuntu-za] Upgrading from 14.04 to 15.04 [worth it? ]

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Fri May 8 15:49:55 UTC 2015

On 08/05/2015 17:27, Pieter Engelbrecht wrote:
> Overall I don't think it is worth upgrading from 14.04 considering
> that 14.04 is a LTS.

I used to upgrade quite regularly, and when you missed a few upgrades it
didn't really matter.  But these days with only 18 months support for
the non-LTS releases its not so great.  I upgraded to 13.10 at some
point and go so busy with things I simply could not afford the
disruption of an upgrade, especially the risk of things breaking.  So I
only just now upgraded to 14.04... almost a year after support for 13.10
stopped.  So from here on I'm sticking to LTS.

The other option of course now is Mint.  All there interim releases are
now based on the previous LTS release, i.e. they no longer base there
interim versions on non-LTS Ubuntu releases.  So upgrading at any time
does not carry the same risk as in Ubuntu.

The thing I'm really interested in now is Snappy.  Don't know to much
about it yet, but it seems it would allow you to stay on an LTS release
but get the latest versions of software.  Currently your software
packages do not necessarily get upgraded when you stick to LTS....
that's if I remember correctly.