[ubuntu-za] Migrating to Linux

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Sat May 2 16:15:15 UTC 2015

On 05/02/2015 07:57 AM, Jan Greeff wrote:
> Leon, now I'm totally confused. I was under the impression that Mint
> comes in two environments: Mate and Cinnanon. Now you appear to indicate
> that Mate is Ubuntu. Also, in the Linux Mint release timeline on Wiki
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is listed as
> one of the Mint releases. ??

Mate is a desktop environment, like Gnome, KDE, Unity, and so on...  And
Mate is the default Desktop environment for mint, like Unity is the
default for Ubuntu.  But with 15.04, Mate is also officially supported
as a default distribution.  (Like Kubuntu for KDE, and Xubuntu, and so on)

Up to now I have been using the default install and adding Gnome Pannel
(Gnome Flashback) to get the look I like.  I just installed the official
Ubuntu Mate 15.04, and it is quite nice.  Fixes a few issues with Gnome
Flashback I had as well.

			Lee