[ubuntu-za] Migrating to Linux

Jan Greeff jan at verslank.net
Fri May 1 16:05:26 UTC 2015

Hi there all, I think that it's my own fault I did not get any replies
to the question in the mail below, I was not very specific about what I
need.

The questions that I have are:

1. How different is Mint from Ubuntu? I will have to help him, so will
the fact that I am reasonably au-fait with Ubuntu enable me to help him,
for example, to migrate his e-mails and address list fromWin to Mint?

2. Does Mint store directory files in similar fashion to Ubuntu?

3. Does Ubuntu and Mint share the same software repositories?

4. What version of Linux will run on the ACER Travelmate computer?

5. Will Virtualbox install in Mint in similar fashion to Ubuntu?

Best wishes,

Jan

Good day all,

I would like some advice, please, for a friend who is looking to migrate
to a Linux system.

He is currently operating an ACER Travelmate 4150 on Windows XP, using
an Intel Pentium M760 processor (2MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz, 533MHz F58) and
using 48GB of the 60GB hard drive.

He also has an ACER Aspire One D257 Netbook running on Windows 7 Starter
with an Intel Atom N455 processor (1.66GHz, 512KB cache) and 2 GB DDR3
memory, a 320GB hard drive (using 85.2GB)

In addition, he is using two 1 TB external drives, one for backups and
one for transferring data from one machine to the other.

He uses CorelDraw X3 a lot and this is essential. He admits to being
loathe to adapt to a different graphics program.

Inputs will be appreciated very much.

Jan