[ubuntu-za] Follow up from LOCO Ubuntu ZA re-verification

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Mon Jan 19 19:50:48 UTC 2015

On 19/01/2015 09:10, Miles wrote:
> Hi Gert, we looked at apt offline the other day, looks like hard work.
> We also discussed ways and means of doing the job. We are also looking
> at getting more ubuntu members. Thats not too easy.
> join us on irc and lets see what we can come up with.

apt-offline is really really simple.

1. On your disconnected computer, instead of upgrading by running
    "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade", run
    "apt-offline set --update apt-offline.sig"

2. Then, you put that "apt-offline.sig" file onto a flash drive, and
    go to a computer that has an Internet connection, put the flash
    drive in and run "apt-offline get --bundle bundle.zip
apt-offline.sig"

3. Now copy that "bundle.zip" file to your flash drive and go back to
    your disconnected computer. Run "sudo apt-offline install bundle.zip"

4. TADA! Your disconnected computer has been updated.

Of course you need apt-offline installed on both computers, but
according to this chap you should be able to copy just the apt-offline
deb file and install it the "dangerous" way using "dpkg".

--
Raoul Snyman
e: raoul at snyman.info
Please note that my e-mail address has changed!